Saturday 18 January 2014

Back to Business! Dynamic Duos #86

The crafting world gets back to normal after this year's CHA...

It was fun seeing the sneak peeks of products and people. One of my favorites is Jennifer McGuire. This week's Dynamic Duos card is a tribute to her!
First, the colour challenge:
Its soft and subtle week, with an aqua and dusty rose combination.

I reproduced an effect Jennifer demonstrated HERE: she calls it "faux letterpress."
It involves using a cutting plate to emboss onto watercolour paper, then using Distress Markers to "paint" the resulting image. Here's the materials I used:
 The Distress Markers are evergreen bough and tattered rose.
The cutting plate is Lil' Inker's swirls cover-up die.
Here's the card:
I couldn't bear to cover up that lovely organic image, so I heat-embossed my sentiment onto vellum, another technique I've been seeing lately. I used some more Lil' Inker products: Spot On stamp set--great big sentiment words and cute circular accents; and their new On the diagonal die  which has the LID distinctive stitched edge. I machine-stitched the banner onto the card and left the thread ends hanging. Another new thing, but it has me itching to trim them!
Time to check out the creations from the other Dynamos!
 
Hope to see you playing with these colours this week! at The Dynamic Duos.

Happy crafting,
Caroline

15 comments:

  1. I love this technique...have never tried it myself, but after seeing your card...I WILL! Love the Lil Inker Coverplate and the varigated colors you achieved on the cute swirls. I'm with you...I don't know how I would resist cutting those strings, but I see that effect all over the place and always love it when someone else does it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this...awesome use of the distress markers...sooooooooo pretty! I'm a sucker for vellum and heat embossing too, perfectly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I love the swirls and effects you used on this card. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH! This is so pretty, Caroline! I have some letterpress plates that I'll have to try on this technique. Thanks for the inspiration!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, this is awesome! I love the embossing plate and the way you colored the splashes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful. Great way to take it up a notch with some new techniques and fun new supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun technique I'll have to give this a try.. I love how the vellum looks with the embossed sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card! I have been using this "embossing with a cutting die" technique recently, but never thought to colour the way you have. I will have to try that with this die...I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...what a card! Love how you used the embossed your background the colors are amazing, you totally rocked this technique too...think you sold me on this die as well, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking forward to your post, as I have seen your beautiful card for over a week now...wondering how you did it. A very pretty card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great technique can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with the faux letterpress technique- love the embossed sentiment as well! Perfect for our Soft Subtles challenge and so creative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great use of the texture plate and coloring. A great submission with the DD colors. Vellum is a perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I am going to try this technique. Thank you for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!